Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Getting There

Last month, I drove cross country from Atlanta, Georgia to Walla Walla, Washington to serve the Blue Mountain Community Church as interim pastor. It was quite a trip! I started out at my son’s home and drove home to Kokomo with my wife, Tina. After packing for my four month stint here, I kissed my wife good-bye (She’ll join me soon, and I can hardly wait.) and headed west. I drove through many kinds of terrain: from the jungle-like heat and humidity that is August in the East; to the vast grassy plains of Kansas; through the magnificent Rockies and across the desolate high plains coming finally to the fertile valleys of Oregon and Washington. My little four-cylinder Ford Escape climbed up and sped down speed grades. I went through tunnels, over wide rivers and across dry creeks. My strategy was to keep going and going, everywhere the road led, because I was following a good map. Every kind of terrain had a beauty of its own, and each offered its own difficulty, but I was sure, if I stayed on that route, it would lead me to my destination.

The roads of our lives pass through all kinds of terrain: from the tangled jungles of problems, to plains of routine; from mountains of difficulty, to desolate places of spiritual dryness. Sometimes the rough parts of the road are so hard we just want to quit, because we feel we just can’t go on. The good news is that God’s road takes us home. If we are following His road map, the Bible, we are guaranteed that, and He always delivers on that guarantee. Sometimes the road requires us to persevere and endure, but we will make it, if we don’t give up. The difficult parts of any trip are often the most memorable. Whatever the terrain of your life’s road is right now, take courage. If you’re following God’s road, you are going the right way. Trust Him and never stop until he leads you home.

No comments:

Post a Comment