Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mike: Seeing What God Sees

Mike: Seeing What God Sees

Eight o’clock on Wednesday night and it was over. It never really started. Youth Bible study at my house, and only one boy came, Mike. He was a good kid, but I couldn’t help being disappointed. At other churches I had started Bible studies, and within a few weeks, I had a houseful of high schoolers who were really interested in what the Bible had to say to them. This church was different. Have a party; they would show up. Go on a trip; they were there. But I could not get this bunch interested in the Bible. I had tried everything that had worked before, everything I read about, even a few things that I didn’t really know how to do. Most of them were church kids, but they would not make commitments to Christ. Several of them were in trouble pretty often. As I look back on it, they were probably acting out their rebellion against their parents. One boy was the leader, if I could have reached him, the rest would have followed. He knew he was the leader and he wasn’t about to follow me. The other youth groups I led before were easy, but this one was difficult. I should have realized it from the beginning. I was the third youth pastor to serve that church in that year, and I came in July. I guess I was over-confident. Youth ministry had always been so easy before, that I am afraid I thought it was because of me. That night, I was disabused of that notion.

So I tried to pour myself into that one boy. Many Wednesdays it was only Mike and I. He was very bright and eager to learn. I encouraged him to go to a Christian liberal arts college. By the time he graduated he had been accepted there, and had received some pretty substantial scholarships. He even intimated that he thought the Lord might be calling him to the ministry. Though I had never reached the numbers I had hoped at that church, this one boy would make up for it. Late that summer, Mike’s plans changed. Instead of going to the Christian college, he chose a state school that was known as a major party school, in a town that didn’t have a church related to ours. You can’t imagine my disappointment. I left that church a few months later. During the next few years I heard from, and about, Mike from time to time. It was encouraging to hear that he had become involved with Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

Mike graduated with a degree in computer science at the time when personal computers were beginning to come on the scene. His future was bright and I was happy for him, I wondered how he would use his degree. Soon after graduation, I got a very newsy letter from him. Not only did he tell me he was getting married, (and ask me to officiate), he also told me of his plan to take his bride to Turkey ostensibly to work in computers, but actually, to be an underground missionary. You could have knocked me over with a feather. What a courageous couple! They spent 20 years in Turkey. From time-to-time I he sent me newsletters. Among other things, Mike had a role in producing a modern Turkish translation of the New Testament. I am proud to call him a friend.

From the perspective of today, I can see that the time I spent with Mike was worth more than I could have ever known. I wish I had any idea what God was up to. I probably could have taught Mike more, or been more enthusiastic about our times together. I guess the moral of the story is to always do everything you can, especially when working youth or children. You don’t really know who you are dealing with. When he was in high school, I saw Mike as a smart kid who played soccer. I didn’t see the underground missionary. Who is your in class, group, or your family? What will God make of them? Do your level best to prepare them for whatever it is.

1 comment:

  1. We just never know how God uses us, at least not all the time. How wonderful to have been able to keep up with Mike. God never ceases to amaze me, how He can work through us if we allow Him.

    Cindi

    ReplyDelete